Saturday, November 12, 2005

Signs

So I was walking around the northside this early afternoon. Wonderful weather we're having; certainly I have plenty of reasons to feel good as I had a fine time last night with someone interesting, new. This morning I drank coffee at one of those hip cafes. I wouldn't bother usually but it's nice to sit in public on hand-me-down couches, people watch. I completed the weekend's crosswords and other puzzles. I bought cat food (deluxe moist kibble in individual pouches, extra fiber, extra liquid; damn cat) Looked in a gallery and a shop or two. Came home. Read the short story in last week's New Yorker by Paul Theroux. I could really relate.

But that's not the point of this post. The point is two business signs I saw today. I have passed them before but today they seemed especially piquant.

Liberty Valance and Blinds

They make window dressings. I wonder how many people get the joke; it took me awhile.

And the other is some kind of a repair service for office machines:

Mechanical Response

It reminded me of a pest control truck I saw in the Village this summer named Terminate Control. I wonder if those business owners find their names solid, forceful, or particularly precise in meaning.

That same day, almost at the same corner, I saw an ambulance whose front bumper appeared to have been repaired with bandages or medical tape. It seemed that someone had taken the phrase "Physician, heal thyself" to include motor vehicles.

Those are my observations for the day. My relative terseness belies my caffeine intake.

~A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home