Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Death is up...and it's good

Why I stay out of the stock market:

CDC: Gonorrhea rate down; syphilis up

Or would this be futures? Anyhow, I only hope you sold the first and kept the second.

This reminds me of the various types of futures being bought and sold now such as weather or natural disaster futures. If an industry heavily depends on good weather, it can buy futures as a type of indemnity against bad weather (if my terminology is way off base, as I expect it is, I only hope a reader will correct me).

Therefore, the notion of selling futures in certain types of disease (say, to protect your business against a real outbreak of the flu) may not be such a ridiculous thing. I have long held a private fantasy along these lines wherein someone will start selling futures for death in general.

~A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home