Sunday, June 11, 2006

New York moments

I got together today with my friend Dylan to go to MoCCA, the annual small press, independent comics expo (I won't bother with my reaction to it here) and strolling around it took about an hour or so. Afterwards, Dylan went home and I went to catch a matinee of the Pixar movie Cars at 2nd Ave and 12th street, a theater that used to show first runs, then turned into a second run theater, and is now back to showing new releases. (in fact I was outside there waiting to see an 11am Sunday showing of a Disney movie ten years ago when a prostitute tried to pick me up, apparently for one last trick before turning in). Anyhow today in the theater I ended up sitting across from Vincent D'onofrio and his family. I wasn't close enough to hear which jokes he laughed at, I was laughing too hard to pay attention to such things.

As to Cars, while it is not quite at the level of some previous Pixar films, it is created with such consumate skill, such palpable joy, so much visual wit and craft, that it is a pure joy to see. Crap on the NY Times, I think they just wanted to be the lone, high-minded, critic of dissent. We can always critique the originality of the characters and story, but it is also fair to say that some stories are worth revisiting if one can bring a higher level of execution to them (that's not a defense of the story, by the way, just a possible and legitimate defense).

So that was my latest New York Moment.

~A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home