Saturday, June 04, 2005

My last night dream

As I mentioned in the post below, I have spent the last two nights sleeping on my couch. I like doing this. Besides, I need to wash all my sheets befor sleeping on my bed again.

But perhaps because of this, I had the strangest dream last night.

It was a serial dream, one in which the same situation plays out again and again, each with a variation, some episodes taking place in the same locale but being about something else.

The dream centered on two things. A) I found out I could fly and B)The world was ending.

Let me discuss the end of the world first. In the first few iterations, the end of the worldstarted with a storm. Terrible wind, rain, rising water, and finally a deluge, a tidal wave, a hurricane. A rising intensity of water and wind until the two seemed the same and up and down lost distinction.

In some of these iterations I died. In some I seemed to survive, or at least the episode ended ambiguously. In either case it involved me flying. It seemed that with the rising wind and approaching storm anyone outside was increasingly pummeled by the wind and flying debris. Amidst this I left the ground. And then discovered I could control my direction even though I was in many ways at the mercy of the wind. This was quite dangerous. Entire trees were flying through the air and it was quite possible to be caught by a gust and smashed into a building. I found though that through concentration, I could fight against the wind. It was very difficult too, but by focusing very hard, I could soar higher and higher. It took all my strength to do this, and by focusing too much on altitude I opened myself to the danger of getting hit by debris.In one iteration of the dream though I also discovered, again at the price of extreme concentration, that while flying I could extend a sort of psychokinetic force field around myself which would deflect the flying trees and people. I could envision my path through the air and clear it of debris ahead of me. Very thrilling indeed. If only it didn't involve the end of the world. As I said, some episodes ended with me seeming to rise above the worst of the storm. In other variations I seemed to fight and fight against the storm only to get engulfed.

But this was only some of the scenarios of the end of the world.There was one where an invading army (foreigners, aliens) simply took over, started deporting people, erecting camps, and simply engaging in mass slaughter. I remember particularly looking out over the ocean and watching jumbo jets filled with people intentionally crashing into the ocean. The planes descended gracefully in a long line, like a major flight path at JFK. One after another into the ocean.

In some of these episodes I was with my friends and many, many other people, seeking refuge, watching the ongoing events from a series of rooftops in a neighborhood not unlike Greenpoint. I remember my ex-wife in some of these instances. I remember her as getting destroyed as everyone else. You can imagine that the overarching mood was very dark, worried, yet with an air of inevitability. It was never clear if people understood actually what was going on, how it would end.

In one episode the end of the world was accomplished by giants, maybe giant robots, but I think they were merely giant people. I mean these people were miles high. Nothing to sneeze at.

At any rate there were other episodes that occurred in these same buildings but didn't focus on the end of the world. There was a sense of danger and lawlessness present. A sense of searching. There were bits about a subway and going from one place to another, very typical of my subway dreams, these seemed to occur just before the end of the world episodes. And finally the last episode was concerned with merely hanging out, relaxing, at a hotel. Yet there was something dark on the horizon. We seemed to be waiting.

I know this must all be tedious to read but I wanted to set it down. I should mention that this ties closely into the very first flying dream I ever had, somewhere around the age of 6. It involved a torndao.

~A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home