Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My past is haunting me

So I've been out of high school for nigh upon seventeen and a half years. Lincoln park high School, I remember it quite fondly. (It has no connection to the similarly named band, thank god.) In that time, I have randomly run into acquaintances from school on the streets of New York, been tracked down by others, and found myself on the mailing list of the alumni newsetter (the school's alumni association was only started about five years ago, so my class has never actually held any reunions.) But most of those run-ins happened well in the past and for all the people I've met here and ther wo have grown up in or around Chicago, none have ever been alumni of the school or had any great familiarity with it.

But this summer, when I was in Washington D.C. for an archivists conference, I fell into conversation with a friend of a friend who, it turned out, had actually gone there about four years after me (we might have overlapped one yer; and then he went on to get a library degree at the same place I did.) He also revealed that he had dated the younger (and very cute) sister of one of my classmate, one who I had a crush on but hung out mainly with older years. So we had actually been in the same house near school.

Very odd. but this weekend I went to a wedding and was introduced to friends of the bride from Chicago and, lo and behold, he went to my high school! A bit more recently but we still could spend a few minutes chatting about teachers.

And then this morning the Today show did a feature on difficulties of applying for colleges and they used three "model" teens and their families to illuminate the stresses and one of them was from my high school. They even had film of the student roaming the hallways and outside. It was all very surreal.

So I've been wondering if I should find any significance in these (apparently) coincidental events. And if so, what possible significance can be found?

I'm open to suggestions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home