Monday, September 12, 2005

A most unusual weekend for me

So I had nothing particualrly planned this weekend; that in and of itself is certainly not unusual. However, on Friday night I had drinks on the roof at the Met with a distant cousin (I think he's a first cousin once removed, i.e. he's my Mom's first cousin, but please correct me if I'm wrong). This is a man around the age of fifty who has become interested in family geneology and has the type of outgoing personality where he likes to meet strangers and third cousins and see what their like.

He is an absolute hoot. Turns out his profession is therapeutic touch, he's had long term relationships with men and women (he comes across as very gay), and talking with him was fun. He told me lots of new things about my family (not that there's any big secrets but ina family as big as the one I came from there's just a lot to know). And then, at the end of the evening, when I guess he figured I was all right, he invited me to the men's final of the U.S. Open on Sunday since he had a spare ticket. Holey Moley!

This is the first professional sporting event I have been to as an adult (I think the last was a Cubs game when I was 14, and this doesnt count a few Big 10 football games in college). I had to leave my house yesterday at 8 (an unscionable hour on a Sunday) to meet my cousin in Manhattan at nine, whence we caught the 7 train. We got to Ashe Stadium at 9:30 thinking that the gates opened at 10 and the finals match began at 12. It turns out that the gates opened at eleven and the finals match began at four. So what could we do with our time? Drink bloody mary's. Four or five I think, I'm not too sure. There were also a couple of beers in there. So by the time I stopped drinking when the match started I was not only drunk, I was beginning to sober up and get a hangover. By the time the match ended and we were heading home on the subway, I was absolutely knackered. I had to turn down my cousin's invitation to go to a high profile steak restaurant. Next time he's in town I guess.

As an aside, the match was great though the outcome was utterly predictable. I was just relieved that Agassi didn't crumple. As another aside, after drinks with my cousin on Friday, I went and saw Transporter 2. This is not a movie I would generally reccommend, as there are usually better things to spend one's money on. But for what it was, it was a helluva lotta fun. I convinced my cousin he should go see it because his memories of Transporter 1 weren't so bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home